9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel (1800 50th St., West Des Moines)
This conference will highlight the partnerships across Iowa that are connecting schools to local businesses and other employers. Best practices in aligning education to workforce will be shared by practitioners on the front edge—both industry and school leaders. Among the models to be profiled are the STEM BEST® (Businesses Engaging Students and Teachers) and STEM RLE (Redesigned Learning Environment) partnerships of the Iowa Governor's STEM Advisory Council.
- Business roles, incentives and benefits of partnering with schools;
- How to identify and recruit business partners;
- How to identify and recruit education partners;
- Policy and rule inhibitors to expansion of school+business partnerships;
- Challenges encountered and overcome through school+business partnerships;
- Co-teaching: roles for business alongside educators in courses and instruction;
- Implications for teacher education;
- A unique accomplishment or innovation by current STEM BEST and STEM RLE partners;
- Building a school-wide culture around school+business innovation;
- How to start a school+business partnership in your community.